“Architecture, more than any other form of art, implies the imminence of the perception of our senses. Time passage, light, shadow and transparency, color phenomenon, texture, material and detail all participate in the complete experience of architecture perception. ”
(Juhani Pallasmaa, 1996: The Art of Dwelling)
This is why it is important that the smallest of us (3-6 year-olds) come into contact with the field of architecture:
- Architectural education implies a holistic vision, in other words, children have a wide range of research, succeeding in making easily surprisingly free and creative connections.
- They will develop critical sense and recognize quality.
- Availability for sensory experimentation is maximal at these ages. Once the method “learned” they will appeal to it later, naturally.
- To develop the expression of feelings, ideas, proclamations, but also understanding and obedience to others.
- For the curiosity and pleasure of individual, group or team play.
- Because the urban population is growing more and the decisions that people make about the environment get to be taken more and more responsible.
- For activating civic and community spirit, encouraging personal initiative and communication skills.
- The ultimate goal of this educational initiative is that in the future, no matter the profession these children will follow, they will understand the environment they live in and protect, enrich and shape it in full knowledge of the cause.
The workshops were designed by the De-a arhitectura team (arch. Eliza Yokina, arch. Claudia Bingol and arch. Corina Croitoru), and piloted in Brașov (arch. Deea Ursachi, arch. Ioana Aldea, arch. Cristina Țurcanu, arch. Cristina Vechiu) and Tulcea (arch. Monica Bădulescu), in 2015-2017.
AGE: 3-6 years
DURATION: 12 sessions / 45-60 min
PLACE: in the classroom, garden courtyard, in Bucharest and the big cities in the country.
GUIDER: 1-2 architects from theDe-a arhitecturateam
1. THE MIORROR, THE SPYGLASS AND THE BLIND MAN’S BUFF
2. THREAD LABIRINTH
3. THE GAERDEN WITH HOUSES
4. LETTER TO MY HOUSE
5. ANIMAL STREET
6. RULLING CITIES
7. SHADOW THEATRE
8. SECRET HOUSE
9. TASTY STRUCTURE
10. HOUSE PLANS
11. THE STRUCTURE BODY
12. THE BUILDING OF THE CITY
The course has a fee and takes place in state and private kindergartens and is run by an architect of the De-a arhitectura team. Further information and offer can be obtained from email@example.com.